We looked at three more yesterday. I am so tired of hunting. All three we saw yesterday were the same price(around $875), 2 included parking, and one parking was $25, which isn’t bad. Heat and Water are included in them all, so we’ll have to arrange to have electricity as well. We’re kind of torn between this one on Northmount Drive and one near downtown. The Northmount one is really nice, with the biggest apartment kitchen I’ve seen and a ton of personal storage(even a little cupboard with your suite number in the laundry room!). Northmount was a bit darker and had no balcony. The near-downtown one had a little less storage, but more than any places in the area, and a little dining room. It’s 2 blocks off 17th avenue, so I would no longer be chained to the bus, which would be really nice. It’s also pretty short of a drive for Nelson to get to work(which will be at Chinook next month). It’s pretty bright and has a south-facing balcony. Here’s the Google Street View. We’re going to contact her and give her our deposit and everything really soon. I’m glad we stuck it out and kept looking. This one was number 12 of 13 that we saw(The Kildare in the previous post was after this – we saw this while waiting around to see that one, and Nelson saw a sign and called and the lady said she’d be right out. It was a happy accident).
I won’t be too excited until it’s gone through, because I’m pretty nervous. I will be relieved when she gets her cheques.
So we’ve gone to see quite a few apartments.
- Bridgeland – Nelson took pictures(I couldn’t go). It looked okay, but no balcony, and he said it was pretty small.
- Princes Island Place – I got a lot of “meh” from Nelson, sometimes sending him is kind of annoying because I have no idea about anything.
- Crescent Heights – this one wasn’t even the same apartment as the photographs, and was tiny and in an awkward location. Even after just seeing the outside, I didn’t want to go inside.
- The “Curry Place” – before we arrived, the guy on the phone warned us that the place smelled like curry. And oh yes, it did. It would have been okay (although I didn’t really like the kitchen) besides the smell. At first we thought it would be okay, but on the way home we could still smell curry, like it was stuck in our noses. They’d already shampooed all the carpets and cleaned it really well, and the smell wasn’t going away.
- Calgary Place – Nelson said, “There’s a reason these pictures are all close-ups” about the brochure. It has a rooftop garden and swimming pool, but apparently the rest is pretty dingy.
- Vista Tower – Nelson liked it a lot (this and the last place were on the day we forgot the camera), but parking is an extra $100 per month(apparently down from over $200), and I always feel weird about paying to park at your own house. Utilities were all included, though, and it had a separate storage area across the hall, and their promotion for signing a 1-year lease is a free couch from The Brick.
- Massage U Knead – right on 17th avenue, above some stores. Clean, pretty basic, okay balcony. I think we’d be a bit cramped, though. We decided if we don’t find anything else, we’ll move there. Includes all utilities and parking.
- Inglewood – A bit far away, deep into Inglewood, but it was part of a 4-plex and was absolutely huge. I’ve never seen a place I actually thought was too big. Lovely, 2 bedroom, a little more than we wanted to pay, but included laundry and a huge kitchen. I don’t think I want to pay that much to live in a remote location(although still half an hour less time to get to school than where I’m living now)
- Mission – Nice kitchen, bright, no balcony. Nelson said the only really good part was the kitchen.
- Another Connaught(Don’t remember the name) – They accidentally showed Nelson the 2-bedroom for rent first, so when he saw the 1-bedroom he was less impressed. We’d get the 2-bedroom if we could afford it.
- The Kildare – In Connaught, hardwood, no balcony, weird kitchen(no room for a table), and he said there was other storage but never showed it to us, said there was a resident manager and never introduced us, and never showed us the laundry area.
Nelson’s going to see one today in Connaught, two more in Connaught tomorrow and one on Northmount Drive. I always have to work on his days off, so hopefully the photos will be sufficient.